Wheeler Laser Bore Sighter Review
I have owned the Wheeler Laser Bore Sighter for quite a while now and have not had the chance to try it out until two weeks back. When I finally did, I was in love with this bore sighter.
Some history about me: I have been shooting for ages and just love things that make my life easier – however, I also like to save money and all the things I buy must make my life simpler. For years, I have not used a bore sighter, and when in need I simply did it the old-fashioned way, by sighting down the bore.
As years passed, I inherited my grandfathers Bushnell bore sighter, which he used many times. You would use it with arbors placed in the gun’s barrel, and for me tended to be a bit complicated.
Then came the Wheeler and when I observed the simplicity, I was glad, especially when I used it for the first time, and the hallelujahs of angels were singing in my ears.
The Bottom Line
When it comes to simplicity and ease of use, then I am the man and with the Wheeler professional Laser Bore Sighter provide you with both worlds.
Using the Wheeler
With the most bore sights, you place it into your gun’s barrel and there is always the possibility of damaging the rifle or the crown – however, with the Wheeler Laser Bore Sighter, it magnetically sticks to the muzzle and the magnet holding it in place is strong.
The first time I placed it on the .50-caliber AR and had to remove a non-steel thread protector from the front of the barrel to stick the bore sighter magnet to the barrel with no problems. Another great thing about the bore sighter is that it does not need centering on the muzzle to work well. As per the instructions, it is ¼ “from being centered, providing you with an end result of ¼ “difference downrange.
The most important purpose of the bore sighter is to get your scope or sights working properly and the only ways to sight in your gun to shoot it and see where it hits at different distances. Moreover, while doing this you adjust your scope accordingly.
It comes with a Target included
With your green laser bore sighter, you receive a 10-inch reflective self-adhesive sheeting that has a grid printed on it that looks similar to a target. However, it is not a target and you cannot go shooting it. The reflective works great while extending distance and using the sighters’ laser. In addition, as I am still old school, I know that once you have boresight a rifle, you need to shoot it at 25 yards. While adjusting the scope, then you shoot 50 yards and so you go on until shooting up to 100 yards.
- The Wheeler professional Laser Bore Sighter used for aligning open sights or scopes before shooting
- It works with any caliber; magnet is larger than needed for 12 gauges and would probably work for 10 gauges as well
- It comes with a reflective 8″ x 10″ bore sighting grid “target” sturdy magnet basically sticks to the muzzle of your gun
- Fine-tune your scope according to instructions so you can hit a target at close range, saving time and ammunition.
- Magnet diameter 1-3/32″
- Uses one CR123A lithium battery and a space is provided for a battery in the case
- The bore sight comes with a black plastic protective case
Pros and Cons of Wheeler Laser Bore Sighter
- The Wheeler professional Laser Bore Sighter easily attaches to the muzzle of any steel barrel on the muzzle
- It can be used on any caliber gun, from .17 up to 10 gauges
- The CR123A batteries included
- The green lasers easy to see, even in daylight and when used in the reflective target it increases the distance at which you can see it
- What I like the most is the fact that it does not go into the guns barrel and the chance of damaging the rifling is removed
- There is no need of perfectly centering it on the muzzle
- You can rotate it without affecting its accuracy
- May not work on barrels with non-steel accessories
- You may scratch the muzzle if you’re not careful
For some great customer feedback do yourself a favor and visit Amazon. There are quite a few pleased customers there and have rated the green laser bore sighter with a rating of 4.5 stars making it a plus in my books as I can vouch for that.
The majority of users are very pleased with the product and not sorry that they had bought it. Many like the fact that it works with a magnet and easy to use.
One customer said that he had used the bore sight on two of his guns and the magnet works great while the laser is straight. The suggested sighting of the guns at 25 yards works perfectly and he got it sighted to 100 yards. It works great on any metal barrel and not sorry at all that he had bought it.
The bore sights used on any type of caliber that consists of steel as it attaches magnetically – however, used on the following:
- Shotgun 10-gauge
- Works well on any gun starting at .17 to 10 gauge
As you can see, I have used many words to show that I like the Wheeler Laser Bore Sighter and have used others before – however, I still find this one to be the best. I can use it on any gun regardless of its caliber and I am sure it will even work on a 10-gauge shotgun. It is simple, compact, and great for storage and transport. The green lasers easy to see and the reflective target helps make it easier to see at long range.